Sunday, September 6, 2009

Apple Beignets!

I needed a quick and simple apple receipe for my cooking demo on tv tomorrow. I am repping the farmer's market. My ex husband is from Lousiana and used to fix beignets for us. A beignets is basically a sweet dough, deep fried and rolled in powdered sugar, kinda like a donut. Well I decided to incorporate apples. This is what I came up with.

2 cups of Brownulated Sugar (this is a mix of sugar and brown sugar and is made by Domino) divided into two dishes
enough canola oil to cover bottom of pot with 1.5" of oil
2 tsp Brown Sugar Cinnamon mix
1 can Hungry Jack Flakey Biscuits not GRANDS, now called Grands JR
2 apples.

Put oil in pan and heat on medium. Pour 1 cp brownulated sugar in each flat dish or bowl . Open biscuits and seperate into 20 pieces. Peel apples and cut into bite size pieces. Dredge apple pieces in brown sugar and center a piece on biscuit. Fold biscuit dough over to encase the apple. Drop in hot oil. Cook for 1.5 minutes and flip over and cook same amount of time. Remove and roll in brown sugar mix, place on large plate. Sprink Brown Sugar Cinnamon Mix over it. Makes 20 apple beignets. The Brownulated Sugar gives a sweet crispy crunch. If you prefer you can roll in powdered sugar instead.


NEW!!!!! - Here is the link to the live segment I shot today cooking these for our midday news program. Segment is on right in viewer, you might have to move to find me. Apple Beignets is the topic. http://www.wbko.com/midday

No comments: